Kagan and special education

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
jensigns

Kagan and special education

Post by jensigns » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:55 am

I teach special education in a resource room. My children come and go throughout the day. My children are really low functioning as compared to their typical peers. The question I have is how to implement the strategies taught to me in my training such as forming teams when the students are on the same level generally. I also need to figure out how to the strategies if I have more than one grade level in my room. I really think that these strategies will close the gap for my students....just want to make sure that I am using the strategies to the best possible outcome.

Carol Lohkamp

Re: Kagan and special education

Post by Carol Lohkamp » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:19 am

So glad you are excited about using Dr. Kagan's cooperative learning structures for active engagement with your students. You are right on target in your thinking that structures will help your students! Depending on the number of students you have at one time, and the portion of the day they are in your room, it might be easier if you focus on strong academic pairs instead of forming teams of four. This will help you use RallyRobin, Timed Pair Share, and RallyCoach effectively for processing and practice. Good luck!