Kagan Structures in the Academic Library Setting

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
camaro85

Kagan Structures in the Academic Library Setting

Post by camaro85 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:09 pm

I am a librarian at a university. I instruct students in the classroom on how to use the library's resources and databases. Typically this is given in a traditional format: I stand in front of the class at the computer and projection screen, I point out to students what they need to be aware of and they follow along with me on their computers. I do not see the same students and I have a different sets of student and classes each time I present. I have looked at the Kagan Cooperative Learning book. The active learning techniques i.e. structures sound like a great idea, but how can I make them work for me in my classroom setting? (I also posted this in the workshop DB)

melissasw

Re: Kagan Structures in the Academic Library Setting

Post by melissasw » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:57 pm

I'm so exciting that you want to implement structures at the University level. A great starting point would be to use structures like RallyRobin or Timed Pair Share to process the information you are presenting to your students. What that means is after you have delivered 7-10 pieces of information you want them to remember, stop and let them talk about it, make connections. You would use RallyRobin for questions where the responses are brief, a list. If the question is open ended, resulting in a longer response, Timed Pair Share is the structure you want to use.