Rally Coach - Talking Outloud is Difficult for Students

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
melissasw

Rally Coach - Talking Outloud is Difficult for Students

Post by melissasw » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:11 pm

I had a teacher ask me about her student's inability to talk outloud effectively during RallyCoach and how could she help them. Also, she was having some challenges with Partner A writing before getting an ok from their partner.
One suggestion I gave her to help students with talking outloud is to model, give your students a visual/auditory expectation. When first beginning using RallyCoach, talking outloud is not natural or comfortable for them. Modeling helps with this as they can hear exactly what you want them to do. I found that when I told my students why I wanted them to explain their thinking, they were more willing to participate and communicate more effectively, step by step.
Any other ideas/suggestions?
2nd question-Partner A writing before getting Partner B's ok:
One thing I saw this week while coaching addresses Partner A writing before getting an ok. In this teacher's classroom, Partner B was holding the pencil while Partner A explained his thinking. After Partner A asked Partner B "Do you agree?" and Partner B agreed, she handed Partner A the pencil in order to record the answer. Brilliant!

Sarah Ziebell

Re: Rally Coach - Talking Outloud is Difficult for Students

Post by Sarah Ziebell » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:32 am

Getting students to explain their thinking is key in Rally Coach. As Melissa said, modeling is important. Another way to help support students is to reinforce talking out loud when you see it around the classroom. The more you reinforce the skill you are looking for, the more you will see it around the classroom. Also, another idea is to have students stop to reflect and plan for improvement mid Rally Coach. You could ask your students: How are you doing talking out loud? What has your partner said that has really helped you? What can you do in the next problem to give a more detailed verbal explanation? Let students reflect on each question and then for the next problem really walk and listen for great verbal explanations. Reinforce improvement around the room. When students immediately apply their plan, hopefully you will see an improvement.

Hope these ideas help!

Sarah