Student participation

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
rachel.treaster

Student participation

Post by rachel.treaster » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:09 pm

At a recent training, a teacher asked a question concerning student participation. Most all of his students enjoy structures in the classroom. However, two students won't participate. In some cases students may not want to participate because they don't feel safe and want to avoid failure in front of their peers. Safety can be built and strengthened by incorporating Classbuilding structures once a week for fun and Teambuilding twice a week. With continued use of the structures I believe these two students will begin participating, even if it's in small ways.

krisosthoff

Re: Student participation

Post by krisosthoff » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:21 pm

To build off Rachel's great ideas,
I would reflect. I would want to talk to the students as well.
Did they understand the question? Could I have written key words (on the board) of the questions to help them understand? Could I have given a couple of examples?
Did they need more time to think? Could I have given them the questions the day before and asked them to write down a few key words so that they would be prepared the next day?
Would they do better with some choices? Could I have told them they have a choice? We are going to do two questions, and I’ll let you pick which one you would like to participate in. I really need you to participate in one. They made need to progress into participating.
Have I explained why it’s important for my students to learn how to communicate well? What can I do to help them see it is applicable to the real world?
What interests these students? Could I build a question into Classbuilding or Teambuilding that really interests them to move them in the direction of participating.
Kris

Sarah Ziebell

Re: Student participation

Post by Sarah Ziebell » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:13 am

Rachel and Kris both offer great ideas for how to increase reluctant student participation. Another suggestion to build the will of that participant is use of silly sports and goofy games. When I had students who did not want to engage in structures, I made sure we played silly sports and goofy games. Often times, they would join in! The more they engaged in silly sports and goofy games, the more easily I could get them to engage in structures. Coupling silly sports and goofy games with classbuilding and teambuilding and looking at the individual student will hopefully engage even your most reluctant student!

Sarah