praises/gambits

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
hmarshall

praises/gambits

Post by hmarshall » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:46 am

does anyone have a list created of praises or gambits that they use for older kids?

Schmitt2

Re: praises/gambits

Post by Schmitt2 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:27 pm

drjean.org
has a long list that can be altered for the older kids, search her archives

ElishaW/Kagan

Post by ElishaW/Kagan » Sat May 14, 2011 10:26 am

Different states and regions of the world may feel comfortable using different gambits and praises depending on the area's trends and slang. When teaching at the high school level I found it most effective to allow the students to develop and share their own appropriate praises and gambits (with my guidance) using a RoundTable, Jot Thoughts, and ALLWrite Round Robin. This activity served as a great Teambuilder within my classroom.

Another idea I used involved teaming up with the Visual Arts teachers, T.V. Production class (did the morning announcements) and Student Clubs. For example, the students in the Graphic Arts Class generated appropriate praises and gambits using the structures I listed above and created posters using Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, and Dreamweaver. Then other teachers and I could hang them in our classrooms as student generated visuals. Also, the T.V. Production students gave and produced the morning announcements everyday. These students would model appropriate praises and gambits every morning on air for all students to see. Yet another idea I found effective was utilizing student's active in clubs like Student Government, SWAT, etc. These leaders on campus would also generate appropriate praises and gambits using structures, create visuals to hang all over the school, and consciously use these praises and gambits in hallways and during after school events.

Hope these ideas help!

Christi Brown

Cheers vs. Praises

Post by Christi Brown » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:42 am

Praises (or Appreciations) are what we say to individuals.
Posting a chart on the wall with possible Appreciations/Praises would be a great help to students building this aspect of communication with one another. Students (at their level) can help generate other ways to say, "Good job," or "Thank you for sharing."

vs.

Cheers (or Celebrations) are what we say as a group. Team cheers can be found in the Kagan CL textbook, Chapter 10, page 15.
Cheers vs. Praises = both produce the positive emotional environment, but in different ways!
Thank you for reading this post! (Praise)

~Christi

melissasw

Post by melissasw » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:10 pm

Giving your students ownership of creating their own praises/affirmations is a powerful tool in itself. One fifth grade teacher I work with shared that she had her students brainstorm cheers/praises/affirmations based on their science theme, using Round Table, Jot Thoughts, Think Write RoundRobin. For example, when they were studying Rocks and Minerals some cheers were....You're a Rock star!, You sparkle like diamond!, You're answer is golden!