Kindergarten ideas

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
rachel.treaster

Re: Kindergarten ideas

Post by rachel.treaster » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:12 pm

Speaking of Match Mine, another primary example to help support our little ones as well as our language learners, would be to have them sit side by side with their shoulder partner and NOT use a barrier during this structure. In this scenario, the "Sender" builds the board, one piece at a time while the "Receiver" matches the directions, one direction at a time. This is continued until all the pieces have been placed on the game board by the "Sender." This allows our new language learners to take in the language in bite-size pieces.

krisosthoff

Post by krisosthoff » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:27 pm

Another idea to support language learners and little ones is the use of visuals. Focus on what is appropriate to SAY and DO. If your students need help with greeting each other, a couple examples of gambits for what to say might include "Hello!" or "Hi friend!" In addition, a couple examples of what to do include a handshake or a smile with a nod. Therefore, support students by making both of these visual in classrooms with words and clipart or pictures.

rachel.treaster

Post by rachel.treaster » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:12 am

As I have been Kagan Coaching in classrooms this week, I have seem amazing things from students and teachers at all grade levels. In particular, I visited a Pre-K classroom yesterday and the teacher did a phenomenal job of implementing a structure into her morning routine using their calendar. It flowed very smoothly. The students were seated on the carpet and listening very intently to their teacher. As they got to the days of the week, the class sang together their days of the week song. Once finished, the teacher had the students turn and face the person seated next to them, knee to knee, and Rally Robin the days of the week back and forth until she stopped them. They used their "whisper voices" and continued until she used her Quiet Signal and they turned their bodies to face the front of the room again. They continued their lesson. Next they looked at the date. Once the date was given, she had them again turn to their shoulder partner and this time used Rally Robin to practice counting numbers as high as they could go until she stopped them. This process took no longer than five minutes and is a routine I see in Pre-K and Kinder classes all them time.

melissasw

Post by melissasw » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:27 pm

During a recent coaching visit in a Kindergarten classroom, the teacher was doing Mix-Pair-Share and during the mixing time the children hopped, galloped, skipped, or skated. They were quiet and focus....it was awesome. When the teacher turned the music off they quickly paired and sat down facing each other, knee to knee, hands in their lap. GREAT management!!

gmarchini

Post by gmarchini » Fri May 30, 2014 11:03 pm

I use a daily morning message on the whiteboard in my kindergarten class. In the beginning of the year we read the morning message together students echo teacher, then students begin to read, as letters, letter combinations, sight words, concept of word, and punctuation are taught, students are individually called to come up and "circle the letter a", "circle a word", "circle a period", etc. As the year progresses students begin to write letters, letter combos, and words in the message (starting with sight words) and by the end of the year students write the entire message, taking turns as each child adds a word, etc.
How could I do this differently achieving the same outcome but using a Kagan structure to increase engagement and ensure PIES is in place? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

angelapink

Post by angelapink » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:54 am

This is a challenge I see very often, how to use the smart board or white board with engagement in mind. The problem lies within the percentage of students interacting at once. When we call on one at a time to come up to the board, it's back to 5% or less engaged at once. So we want to look at increasing the simultaneous interaction. Here are a couple of ideas, but I hope others will post as well because I know there are some very creative teachers out there! If you don't already have assigned carpet partners or desk partners, get that going (A/B) so you can easily add partner structures to your morning message. Then when you ask someone to come up and make a changed on the board, FIRST ask partner A to tell partner B what change they would make (or what letter they would circle). Then you are increasing the engagement to 50% as they share with the partner. Then go ahead and have one student make the change on the smart board/white board. Continue this with your morning message, alternating partners A/B. So the next question would go to partner B. Another idea is to give everyone something to write with (like white board and expo pen). Students could share one set of materials with their A/B partner. Again, when you ask a question about the morning message, have A or B respond on the white board, show their partner, then show the teacher. Next you would call on one student to make the change on the smart board/white board (or you could make the change based on the responses you saw students write). I love these ideas because they increase the % of engagement at once, but I also realize that managing extra materials can also be a challenge. This also would take a little bit more time. However, if EVERYONE is participating, then I think it's worth the extra time invested. Also, as you know with K, the more you do something, the easier it will get, and less time it will take, all while increasing engagement from 5% to 50%! Best of luck, and like I said, I hope others will post because I think this is a hot topic for teachers. Let's make the smart board/ white board more engaging!

melissasw

Post by melissasw » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:25 pm

Gmarchini,
Thank you so much for contacting us for support, knowing you needed more engagement during your morning message is a great step. I've walked in your shoes in the kindergarten classroom so please feel free to contact me anytime, melissawincel@kaganonline.com, as kindergarten is a whole other ball of wax. Since kindergarten teachers do most of their teaching at the carpet, bringing them to the carpet in their teams is essential so that they get the support they need. I oftentimes had the materials manager bring their team mat so there was no arguing about who would go first.
As far as morning message, I utilized Numbered Heads Together and/or Sage-n-Scribe for the correct punctuation, sight word, etc. I didn't have one student come up as it took too much time and the engagement was so low as Angela pointed out, and when I used structures I felt like I was hearing from everyone. I just had them chorally respond to tell me what to write. When working on beginning sounds or any phonological awareness skill RallyRobin or RoundRobin work perfectly. I also usually had a question with my morning message that related to the story that day or a teambuilding question, so I either used a Timed Pair Share or Timed RoundRobin.
Might I also suggest a new resource book, Structures for Primary, specifically written with young children in mind, the first chapter centered around management and making structures work with non-readers and ones whose independency is limited.

Cavy_09

Post by Cavy_09 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:00 am

Thanks for giving opportunity to share my experience. My kid is enrolled with the best kindergarten here. I attended a science based workshop last week with my kid and I really enjoyed it a lot.

vlf

Post by vlf » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:39 pm

I was never a kagan student.......I personally don't learn like that.

rpickle

Post by rpickle » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:41 am

Looking for some tips that during Think-Pair-Share and other such activities where students work in small groups, I know my students are on task and engaging in the content. How do I know that's what they are talking about?

angelapink

Post by angelapink » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:29 am

Great question. I have a few suggestions. When your students are sharing, walk around and listen as much as you can. This will give you an informal assessment. You can't possibly hear all of them each time, but try through out the day to hear different students sharing. Also, after they share, you can call on a few students to share what they heard. If you ask them to share what their partner said, it will check for active listening as well. One other thought, if you have an odd number of students, make a group of three. This way you are free to watch and listen. Many times teachers pair to make it even, but by doing this you are really only hearing one student's response. The group of three can share time. So partner A gets 30 seconds, while partner B gets 40 seconds. In the group of three, they share time 20/20, and you can tell them when to switch if they sit/stand close to you. For Timed-Pair-Share, use open-ended questions. What did you enjoy about centers today? If you were the main character, what would you have done differently? Thought and opinion questions are great for Timed-Pair-Share. If you have an even number that day, then give each student 30 seconds each. Let me know if you want more content ideas. If you share with me what you are teaching right now, I might be able to suggest more specific ideas. Thanks for the question!

nibor

Post by nibor » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:44 am

Hello there,
The main aim of the kindergarten is to make the child accustomed to the culture and environment of learning. The concept of books, teachers, class, classwork etc. There are many different curriculam around. In simple terms, the kids become proficient in the following during their kindergarten year
1. Alphabets - read and write, sequence of alphabets
2. Pronunciation of simple 3 letter words.
3. Able to communicate in small sentences.
4. Numbers - read and write, sequence of numbers
5. Comparing quantities
6. Basic environmental awareness (science), hygiene, shapes, nature, colors, food, taste,
7. Basic social skills like please and thank you and familiarity to the concept of obeying rules.
8. The fine motor skill like opening boxes with hands etc.
Thanks

http://www.2000days.net/daycare-preschool/

rept12

Post by rept12 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:52 am

Hello!

I want to know how can I establish a kindergarten and how can I run it, Please give me suggestions.

rept123

Post by rept123 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:04 pm

Hello!

I want suggestion's for kindergarten.I recently shifted in Calgary so please suggest me some kindergartens.

Jackie Minor

Post by Jackie Minor » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:58 am

Kindergarten is definitely a challenge but you will be amazed at what your students can do! Please take time to scroll through the kindergarten questions and answers on this discussion board. You will definitely find lots of good advice.

A few ideas that might help:
When teaching structures, start simple (RallyRobin).
Use easy content so they can learn the structure.
Model a lot!
Use the structure over and over until it becomes part of a routine.

When teaching structures where students pair, model and practice over and over!
Also, don't forget teaching the greetings (social skills).

In primary we have to focus on those social skills a lot - active listening, greetings, etc....

We have two Primary books on our website that outline this in more detail. Feel free to check those out. Good luck with your littel ones!

Jackie