Primary teacher new to Kagan

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
nrhodes

Primary teacher new to Kagan

Post by nrhodes » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:13 pm

I am a new teacher and I teach 1st grade. I would like to start implementing Kagan structures in my class and was wondering if anyone could recommend a structure that I can begin to implement that is simple enough for first grade and would keep them engaged. :D

Jackie Minor

Post by Jackie Minor » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:25 pm

There are a lot of structures that work great for first grade! Timed Pair Share, RallyRobin, Quiz Quiz Trade are just a few that work great. The most important thing is to get to a training so you can practice these and gather a lot of ideas for your classroom.

Jackie

rachel.treaster

Re: Primary teacher new to Kagan

Post by rachel.treaster » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:45 pm

This makes me think of 2 wonderful structures you could use with your first grade students: RallyRobin and RallyTable. Primary students are able to work in both pairs and teams. Although, it might be more helpful to have them start by working in pairs, as this allows for higher engagement and fewer opportunities to be off task.
1. RallyRobin: for example, two students can take turns talking about; the next number in sequence, action words, counting by 5s, words that begin with "st", etc. This would be a great start to building language and vocabulary.
2. RallyTable: for example, two students can share the math manipulatives!
Enjoy!
~Rachel

Sarah Ziebell

Re: Primary teacher new to Kagan

Post by Sarah Ziebell » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:01 am

Those are great structures to start with! When you start using a structure, just like anything new you are introducing into your classroom, go one step at a time and model, model, model! So, for example, if you are going to use RallyRobin for skip counting, explain to students the steps of RallyRobin, how we are going back and forth taking turns sharing an answer with our partner, and then have one student come up and model with you. Students understand far more quickly and clearly when they see a model of what they are going to do!
Best of luck to you!
Sarah