Special Education/Resource room/Related Services

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
hproctor

Special Education/Resource room/Related Services

Post by hproctor » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:31 am

I am looking to see if there is a workshop or tutorial of how to effectively implement Kagan in a pull out setting where at times there is only 1 student in the classroom with the teacher. I would like to fully implement it in my classroom, but I am struggling with how to effectively implement it.

Elia Chesnoff

Re: Special Education/Resource room/Related Services

Post by Elia Chesnoff » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:12 pm

One idea I often recommend to teachers working in resource rooms or pulling students out is to practice structures with students that teachers in the inclusion classes may be using. For example, if you are pulling out a student on Monday and you know the teacher will be doing Quiz Quiz Trade with the class on Wednesday, you can practice QQT with the cards being used on Wednesday. I also recommend practicing all the social skills: greetings, partings, praise, pairing up, eye contact, and coaching.

As far as other structures, you can always practice any pair structures such as Timed Pair Share, Both Record RallyRobin, or RallyCoach.

Again, I always recommend considering what does the particular student need as far as social/academic skills to be able to participate fully in the inclusion classroom.

-Elia Chesnoff