Teacher says they cannot handle being in a team!

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
lhagedorn

Teacher says they cannot handle being in a team!

Post by lhagedorn » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:16 pm

Hi, I am helping a teacher with Kagan structures (I attended the coaching workshop) and the first thing I noticed is that her 5th graders were not in teams. She said she tried it the first quarter but they were so disruptive and chatty (she has a high behavioral need). I am encouraging her to put them back into teams - is there some structures/guidelines I can give her? She has established a quiet signal. Thank you!

rachel.treaster

Re: Teacher says they cannot handle being in a team!

Post by rachel.treaster » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:50 pm

I am so glad to hear the teacher has an effective Quiet Signal in place. I'm also happy to hear this teacher has your support and help. There are a few suggestions I'd like to share. You mentioned this class has a lot of behavioral needs. I would first suggest the use (or more use) of Classbuilders and Teambuilders while modeling appropriate behavior for these specific students. This gives them an opportunity to see the desired behaviors, as well as practice these skills. It provides a time for students to appropriately interact and build trust amongst each other. The second suggestion I have would be to refer to Chapter 8 in Dr. Kagan's CL book some management ideas in types of seating arrangements.