Team Seating

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.

Team Seating

Postby hridnour » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:55 pm

I attended a KAGAN workshop in July and am setting up my teams of 4. I have one table of 2 students left over. How do I divide them? They must go as a table....as 2 sit at a long table.

Also, I am trying to put numbers on my tables (#1-2-3-4) and am not sure who is what number. For example, are the 1's the high student? And if so, do they sit closest to the teacher??? I'm afraid some of my notes contradict each other and I have written them just enough to confuse myself!!! UGH! I need some direction . . .
hridnour

Re: Team Seating

Postby Jennifer » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:12 pm

So happy to hear that you are starting off your school year making mixed-ability teams! In training, we recommend that when there are 2 students left over to have 2 teams of 3. You can also do 2 teams of 5. Keep in mind that it may be harder to manage 2 teams of 5, and that % engaged goes down to 20% in teams of 5. As for where the students sit within each team...you want to mixed it up so that NOT all HIGH students are in the same seat number. You also want to make sure that the H and the LM are shoulder partners and the HM and L are shoulder partners. As for face partners, the H and HM will be face, as well as the LM and L. I hope that clears up any confusion! Best of luck to a successful year!
Jennifer

Postby Jahteacher » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:01 pm

Jennifer wrote :
> So happy to hear that you are starting off your school year making
> mixed-ability teams! In training, we recommend that when there are 2
> students left over to have 2 teams of 3. You can also do 2 teams of 5.
> Keep in mind that it may be harder to manage 2 teams of 5, and that %
> engaged goes down to 20% in teams of 5. As for where the students sit
> within each team...you want to mixed it up so that NOT all HIGH students
> are in the same seat number. You also want to make sure that the H and
> the LM are shoulder partners and the HM and L are shoulder partners. As
> for face partners, the H and HM will be face, as well as the LM and L. I
> hope that clears up any confusion! Best of luck to a successful year!

I would love to knowif there are specific structures that should be used for face partners and shoulder partners respectively. It has been quite some time ago that I attended a 2-day workshop, and I can't find anything in my notes or plethora of Kagan books regarding when to use which type of partner. Are their specific types of tasks and structures that would require students to be closer to level (face partners) rather than farther apart (shoulder parnters)?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Jahteacher

Postby Wendy Burke » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:52 am

For Shoulder Partners: Rally Coach- as you want a higher ability with a lower ability; Timed Pair Share- to help with volume control when sharing. Rally Table also works well with Shoulder- but could be done with face, if you desired.

Face Partners: Rally Robin, Rally Table....

Hope this helps get you started. Best Wishes!!! And keep your awesome questions coming. :)
Wendy Burke

Return to Kagan Implementation & Theory